cookbook 'application_java', '= 1.0.0'
application_java (6) Versions 1.0.0 Follow24
Deploys and configures Java-based applications
cookbook 'application_java', '= 1.0.0', :supermarket
knife supermarket install application_java
knife supermarket download application_java
This cookbook is designed to be able to describe and deploy Java web applications. Currently supported:
Note that this cookbook provides the Java-specific bindings for the
application cookbook; you will find general documentation in that cookbook.
Other application stacks may be supported at a later date.
Chef 0.10.0 or higher required (for Chef environment use).
The following Opscode cookbooks are dependencies:
The LWRPs provided by this cookbook are not meant to be used by themselves; make sure you are familiar with the
application cookbook before proceeding.
java_webapp sub-resource LWRP deals with deploying Java webapps delivered as WAR files which will be retrieved from a remote URL.
application cookbook was designed around frameworks running on interpreted languages that are deployed in source code, checked out of an SCM using the
deploy_revision resource. While this cookbook tries to map those concepts to a binary distribution mechanism, it may not map exactly.
- database_master_role: if a role name is provided, a Chef search will be run to find a node with than role in the same environment as the current role. If a node is found, its IP address will be used when rendering the context file, but see the "Database block parameters" section below
- context_template: the name of template that will be rendered to create the context file; if specified it will be looked up in the application cookbook. Defaults to "context.xml.erb" from this cookbook
- database: a block containing additional parameters for configuring the database connection (see below)
Database block parameters
The database block can accept any method, with the following being expected by the stock context.xml.erb:
- driver: a fully-qualified class name of the JDBC driver
- host: hostname or IP address of the database server; if set it will take precedence over the address returned from the search for database_master_role
- port: port to use to connect to the database server
- max_active: used to set the maxActive context parameter
- max_idle: used to set the maxIdle context parameter
- max_wait: used to set the maxWait context parameter
You can invoke any other method on the database block, which will result in an entry being created in the
@database Hash which is passed to the context template. See the examples below for more information.
tomcat sub-resource LWRP configures Tomcat to run the application by creating a symbolic link to the context file.
A sample application that needs a database connection:
application "my-app" do path "/usr/local/my-app" repository "..." revision "..." java_webapp do database_master_role "database_master" database do driver 'org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver' database 'name' port 5678 username 'user' password 'password' max_active 1 max_idle 2 max_wait 3 end end tomcat end
If your application does not need a database connection (or you need a custom
context file for other reasons), you can specify your own template:
application "jenkins" do path "/usr/local/jenkins" owner node["tomcat"]["user"] group node["tomcat"]["group"] repository "http://mirrors.jenkins-ci.org/war/latest/jenkins.war" revision "6facd94e958ecf68ffd28be371b5efcb5584c885b5f32a906e477f5f62bdb518-1" java_webapp do context_template "jenkins-context.xml.erb" end tomcat end
You can invoke any method on the database block:
application "my-app" do path "/usr/local/my-app" repository "..." revision "..." java_webapp do database_master_role "database_master" database do database 'name' quorum 2 replicas %w[Huey Dewey Louie] end end end
The corresponding entries will be passed to the context template:
License and Author
Copyright 2009-2012, Opscode, Inc.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
limitations under the License.